Saturday, January 24, 2009

ETT590 First Post

Why you took this class?

I am interested in the use of simulations in mathematics education and in IT (information technology) training.

What you want to get out of this class?

Not sure.

Whether you play or have played games regularly?

Never!

What do you think about digital games and education?

My opinions at this time are based solely on Gee chapters 1-3. Maybe there is something we can learn from video games, specifically, how does something which takes so much time and effort retain peoples' interest, and how can we mimic that in education. I am, however, very biased against the pervasive use of video games per se: I think there is a very low return on time invested.

What you do and have done for a living?

I was a computer programmer (mainframe) for 9 years before taking a full time position at Waubonsee Community College. I taught information technology courses for 6.5 years and mathematics for 2.5 years. I left WCC for corporate training during Y2K. I have a total of 15 years experience in corporate training. In January 2008 I returned to programming full time: I am currently a Java developer.

Anything else you want to say?

Not at this time. (That doesn't happen very often!)

No comments:

Post a Comment