Friday, March 27, 2009

Game Play Reflection #7

I am continuing with Toon Talk ... and I am very frustrated.

I was introduced to a new "character". Pumpy the bicycle pump can be used to make boxes larger or smaller. Smaller is useful so a large box fits the screen. Press F3 to call Pumpy.

I completed a puzzle which demonstrated that multiplication was just repeated addition.




I seem to have gotten past the robot programming problems I had last time -- remember to "suck", out of the thought bubble, values which will change. (In fact, it would appear as though you need to suck out anything which will change, including scales.)

When I got stuck on one of the puzzles, I was reminded "robots work faster when they are not being watched." So if I stand up and leave the room and come back in, the robot should be done with his (her?) task.

But only if he knows when to stop. I had to program the robot to add 1 to a block, and repeat 1000 times. So I started it, left the room, immediately came back, and the robot was on something like his 91,500th iteration. I cannot get it to stop.

I have searched the internet. I cannot find out how to control the number of iterations a robot makes, nor can I figure out how the "scales" work (used for comparing values). For example, in the diagram below, why do I have 56 on the left? I want it to stop at 24.


I think it is because I need to change the number on the robot's wand, but I haven't been told how to do it. (See the "99" on the image below?)


Consider Marty's comment in the following screen shot: "You know the magic wand doesn't always have the right amount of magic." Yes, I know, but you never told me how to change it!



I am so ready to be done with this aspect of the course....

No comments:

Post a Comment